Over the next few months, several faith builds are starting, spurring lots of new home construction throughout Wake County!
• On Jan. 7, work began on the Building Independence Project, a collaboration among Habitat Wake, Lutheran Services Carolina and Serving Cup to construct three homes for nine adults with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. The Lutheran Coalition, together with North Carolina Housing Finance Agency, Thrivent Financial and many generous individuals, is funding this project.
• The Baptist Build raised the walls for two homes during Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend.
• During the Lenten season, the Episcopal Build will construct a new home with Bishop Anne Hodges-Copple participating in the Wall Raising Ceremony.
• On February 20, the Downtown Coalition of churches will raise the walls on their fourth home.
• Nine different faiths are joining together for the Interfaith Build, which begins March 12.
• A coalition of Northern Wake churches will begin building in Wake Forest in early March, and during a similar time frame, a coalition of Southwest Wake churches will build with corporations and community organizations in Fuquay-Varina.
These 10 homes represent the power of faith communities coming together to provide safe, affordable housing in our county.