Habitat Wake is a leader in neighborhood revitalization efforts across Wake County. We know the needs of our community and the transformative effect that safe, affordable housing can have on families and individuals. Neighborhood Revitalization is our effort to transform neighborhoods by improving the quality of life using a holistic approach -- joining residents, nonprofits, businesses, local government, and faith communities to create and implement a shared vision of revitalization. Several housing services are available to communities, including:
- New, energy-efficient home construction,
- Rehabilitation of vacant and foreclosed properties, and
- Home repairs for existing low-income homeowners through Home Preservation.
Through Home Preservation, we seek to partner with homeowners who are either unable to afford, or unable to complete necessary home improvements. Habitat Wake only completes exterior repairs to homes. Services range from minor repairs, such as painting and caulking, to major repairs, such as deck/stair replacements and roof repairs. Qualified homeowners are invited to apply for affordable home repairs. The program requirements are as follows:
- You must own and occupy a home that is at least 10 years old
- You must live within a designated service area: within a Neighborhood Revitalization community, within five miles of current Habitat Wake construction, within special build/event location
- You must be current on property taxes
- You must meet income guidelines of household income
- You must be willing to partner with Habitat Wake by providing volunteers to assist in completing the work
- You must be unable to afford or complete necessary home improvements
- You must pay a program fee in accordance with your requested repairs
Habitat Wake is just one part of a community-wide solution. Collaboration with other groups is an essential ingredient of working with residents and other significant stakeholders in the community to develop a plan of recovery and vision for the future:
- Forging both formal and information partnerships,
- Joining or forming community coalitions, and
- Rallying active neighborhood support.
Together, Habitat Wake, community residents, and local partners can change the face of neighborhoods and the lives of families and individuals who live there.