How to Apply
Habitat Wake’s 5 Step Application Process
1. Complete Pre-Application web-form. Fill out the pre-application with complete, accurate, up-to-date information. This will allow staff to assess your eligibility before inviting you to complete the next steps. Applicants who do not have access to a computer can contact the Family Selection Coordinator at 919.744.2436. After submission, staff will pull your credit report. For any further questions, email the Family Selection Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Attend an Information Session to learn about the full application process. Applicants who complete and meet the required qualifications of the Pre-application will be invited to attend a Homeowner Information Session, held at Habitat Wake office in Raleigh. The staff will assist you in filling out the complete application. Please bring a $10 application fee, payable by money order or other verified funds. We do not accept cash. After submission, staff will pull civil/criminal records and obtain your credit report. Due to the significant need in Wake County, it may take several months before you are invited to a session. When we get to your place in line, we will reach out to you with dates and times, as well as a list of documentation that will be required to process your loan.
3. Formal application interview Once your file has been received, you will be invited for a one-hour, in-office interview.
4. Home interview Habitat representatives will visit your home to meet your family, tour your current residence, and review your family budget.
5. Board of Directors’ approval After completing an orientation session, your application will be presented to Habitat Wake’s Board of Directors for final approval. The process from initial application to receiving the keys to your new home will take 12-15 months. Approved families then move on to complete 200 hours of sweat equity on their own home or the home of a fellow Habitat homeowner. Construction times vary on each home, but closing and move in is generally within a year of a family’s approval. As the house nears completion, we’ll celebrate with a dedication for the sponsors, volunteers, and the family.